New Ideas and Suggestions

Want to shape colwiz with your ideas? Let us know your ideas and suggestions, and together, we will make colwiz even more awesome!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Removing duplicates

It could be could good ideas to have options for removing duplicate files/references in both the desktop app and online app

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in Sign in with colwiz
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. finding duplicates

There should be a feature to find duplicates by title or by other metadata because sometimes we end up adding same article multiple times.

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. How to check for software updates

I cannot find the option to check for updates for the desktop application.
    I can check the version installed. But even if I wanted to check manually, I cannot see on the website what is the latest version.
    How should I check if I have the latest desktop app installed?
    [on Windows 7]

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Marie Jean,

Once a new version is available online, the desktop app updates itself. You just need to be logged in long enough for it to be downloaded automatically. Once you log in again, the new version is launched. This is all seamless and users don’t have to provide any input.

Regards,
    colwiz Team

4. Plugin for Google docs

I was wondering if it would be possible to create a plugin for google docs. I love using google docs for a variety of reasons, but it's always problematic because there aren't a lot of citation plugins for it. I know Proquest flow has a plugin, but I'd much prefer to be able to use colwiz.

2 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Plugins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. am worried that ColWiz is losing its 'mojo', as is common to many academic 'offshoots'

no Blog for months; no 'Press Releases' for 1 1/2 years!
    this is very disheartening to those who (otherwise must rely on Mendeley (ugh) or Qiqqa, and) hate to 'reorganize' data that has taken years to accumulate and integrate into 'a method' that depends on a software product that might disappear 'at a moments notice'

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you download our latest version of colwiz and compare it with the old one, you’ll see we aren’t going anywhere.

A lot has taken place in the previous few months, and we’ll try to have more open communication with everyone soon.

6. you should get rid of Adobe Flash

I love Web-Apps, but Flash is a No-Go (and No-Use) for me since the age of HTML5...

22 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Get rid of Adobe Air. It does not have support for Linux anymore.

Most universities and academic people work with Linux in a daily basis (Ubuntu/Debian, Opensuse, Fedora, etc.)

Colwiz 2.13 is based in Adobe AIR but it isn't supported for Linux anymore. The latest version was the 2.6 launched in 2011. I was digging around and theoretically it is possible to install AIR in Linux. However, for a production machine, I think that is not advisable install such piece of old software. It could have serious security or functionality bugs that never will be fixed for the Linux users.

It seems that Colwiz is a great tool and I am considering migrate…

63 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We feel your pain regarding the lack of support for Adobe Air on Linux. We are currently examining alternative cross-platform solutions to resolve this issue. Please keep an eye on our blog for news of forthcoming changes to colwiz (http://blog.colwiz.com/).

Update: Our latest version of the desktop library is entirely HTML5 based, meaning no more Adobe Air dependency!

Download now from www.colwiz.com/download

8. Bring back the "ungrouped publications" folder

It appears to me that the "ungrouped publications" folder has disappeared with the new Colwiz update, which I think is a shame because I found it helpful to be able to sort my selected papers into groups after I was done with my searches.

Now it has become confusing what happens to papers I "tick" to import from a search... they seem to end up at the bottom of my "all publications" folder (when that folder is set to sort by "date added").

Please consider bringing the ungrouped folder back or something similar.
    Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Adobe Indesign Plugin

I think there is currently no libery app with an Adobe Indesign plugin. Maybe that could be an USP.

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Plugins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Utilize native internet browser instead of Colwiz browser

It seems strange that colwiz is using its own browser from within the desktop app. The colwiz browser is stiff and locked in place and doesnt have the functionality I'm used to using with Google Chrome. If colwiz is going to develop browser plugins, why even bother with a colwiz browser?

6 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Don't Forget the Basics

This has potential so good work there but don't forget about the basic functionality.

I mean things like having all your pdf's saved to a specific folder on your computer (say dropbox or drive). Auto named with title and authors (even if you keep the obscure files in appdata for programing to work, we should never trust a single source to keep our documents). This would also help us get around the fact that you're pdf reader is laggy with anything more than a simple image when there are plenty of better open source alternatives.

Remember that most of us…

38 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Samuel! Thanks so much for your input.

We absolutely agree with the suggestions you’ve made about our reader and we’d like to tell you that a new and improved colwiz reader is in the works. We’ve got it up and running and its currently going through further feature additions and rigorous testing. Won’t be long when you guys can use it for yourselves :)

A folder for having all your PDFs in your PC is also a very requested feature. The reason it’s currently not possible is down to the way our desktop library is setup on Adobe Air. But we’re going to gradually move away from this middle ware entirely which would make your request a very likely possibility for us. Not just that, but we will be able to incorporate even more flexibility for our users.

This transition has already begun but will take a bit of…

12. Greasemonkey script

Add a greasemonkey script so the user can import individual articles from search results of pubmed, google scholar, scopus, science direct, etc. without opening it in a new tab/windows.

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web Importer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow users to disable attachments syncing

I think it would be nice if users have an option not to sync attachments, but only reference. So that all the attachments (.pdf) are stored only locally.
    Attachments synching could be provided as an additional option for a particular selection of references.

3 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey!

You can certainly disable file syncing in the colwiz Library. The option to do it is present in the “settings”. In there, go to the “File sync” tab and un-check the option of “Automatically sync all my files”.

Thanks!

14. Chinese Character Support

I suppose this suggestion relevant to all platforms...

I notice that an imported pdf, with a Chinese Title, is changed 'garble; symbols, suggesting there is not Chinese character support.

I quite often deal with such documents, and am sure that other may also wish to see such a function.

Thank you again for a great application.

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. pdf folder watch

Hi,
    As a researcher I have subscription to journals, then I download the PDFs. It is convenient to then save then in dump folder that is "watched" by colwiz and automatically imports it. This is how i function with mendeley. I can't see the feature on Colwiz, do you have something similar?

32 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Sync calendar with Google, Outlook and iCal

It is very helpful to manage my personal, group and project calendars in one place, however, I also have my calendars on Google and other platforms. It would be great if I can use colwiz to manage my schedule from everywhere and never need to use other software.

89 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Calendar  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. iPad app - major improvements needed

The iPad app lacks several important functions:

• PDF annotations cannot be made - nor can they be displayed.

• New folders cannot be created

• Tasks cannot be accessed

etc etc

These are really major issues in this otherwise nice program.

When will this be fixed?

19 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. "Import to Colwiz" button not working either

As "Search Online" is not working for me, next I've tried to add a paper with the "Import to colwiz" button in firefox, ubuntu linux.

I search for the paper, that gives me the page

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-2818.1997.1340694.x/abstract

I click on the "Import to colwiz" button on my toolbar. A column appears showing the publication, and I click on "Add to colwiz".

It seems to work, I see the message "1 Publication was added to your library".

I go to my library in the colwiz Library GUI, and the publication is not there, not in "Recent additions", or in "All publications".

After…

8 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your post. However we’ve recently updated and fixed some bugs on our web importer. Kindly download it again and see if your problem gets fixed. Thank you.

19. Adding publication from Search online not working

I click on "Search Online" and then enter e.g. hildebrand "a new method for the model-independent" to search for a paper.

The first result is the one I want. I click on the "+" symbol to the left of the publication, and it becomes a tick. The publication is not in my library before or after this.

I drag the publication to the left column, and the column changes to show a message that says "Drop here to add in Library". I drop it there, nothing happens.

The publication never gets added to my Library.

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. include a possibility to create notes / summaries of papers

I am missing a function where I can make notes on a research article (such as a 5-sentence summary for myself) which appear (ideally in the side bar already provided) when I click on the article in my library. Mendeley has a similar function implemented and I find this really useful to make notes on what papers were about without having to open and re-read them (or the abstract)

1 vote
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

New Ideas and Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base