New Ideas and Suggestions

Want to shape colwiz with your ideas? Let us know your ideas and suggestions, and together, we will make colwiz even more awesome!

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How to check for software updates

I cannot find the option to check for updates for the desktop application.
    I can check the version installed. But even if I wanted to check manually, I cannot see on the website what is the latest version.
    How should I check if I have the latest desktop app installed?
    [on Windows 7]

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in Sign in with colwiz
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Marie Jean,

Once a new version is available online, the desktop app updates itself. You just need to be logged in long enough for it to be downloaded automatically. Once you log in again, the new version is launched. This is all seamless and users don’t have to provide any input.

Regards,
    colwiz Team

2. Get rid of Adobe Air. It does not have support for Linux anymore.

Most universities and academic people work with Linux in a daily basis (Ubuntu/Debian, Opensuse, Fedora, etc.)

Colwiz 2.13 is based in Adobe AIR but it isn't supported for Linux anymore. The latest version was the 2.6 launched in 2011. I was digging around and theoretically it is possible to install AIR in Linux. However, for a production machine, I think that is not advisable install such piece of old software. It could have serious security or functionality bugs that never will be fixed for the Linux users.

It seems that Colwiz is a great tool and I am considering migrate…

63 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We feel your pain regarding the lack of support for Adobe Air on Linux. We are currently examining alternative cross-platform solutions to resolve this issue. Please keep an eye on our blog for news of forthcoming changes to colwiz (http://blog.colwiz.com/).

Update: Our latest version of the desktop library is entirely HTML5 based, meaning no more Adobe Air dependency!

Download now from www.colwiz.com/download

3. Utilize native internet browser instead of Colwiz browser

It seems strange that colwiz is using its own browser from within the desktop app. The colwiz browser is stiff and locked in place and doesnt have the functionality I'm used to using with Google Chrome. If colwiz is going to develop browser plugins, why even bother with a colwiz browser?

6 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't Forget the Basics

This has potential so good work there but don't forget about the basic functionality.

I mean things like having all your pdf's saved to a specific folder on your computer (say dropbox or drive). Auto named with title and authors (even if you keep the obscure files in appdata for programing to work, we should never trust a single source to keep our documents). This would also help us get around the fact that you're pdf reader is laggy with anything more than a simple image when there are plenty of better open source alternatives.

Remember that most of us…

38 votes
    Vote
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey Samuel! Thanks so much for your input.

We absolutely agree with the suggestions you’ve made about our reader and we’d like to tell you that a new and improved colwiz reader is in the works. We’ve got it up and running and its currently going through further feature additions and rigorous testing. Won’t be long when you guys can use it for yourselves :)

A folder for having all your PDFs in your PC is also a very requested feature. The reason it’s currently not possible is down to the way our desktop library is setup on Adobe Air. But we’re going to gradually move away from this middle ware entirely which would make your request a very likely possibility for us. Not just that, but we will be able to incorporate even more flexibility for our users.

This transition has already begun but will take a bit of…

• Don't see your idea?

New Ideas and Suggestions

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base