New Ideas and Suggestions

Want to shape colwiz with your ideas? Let us know your ideas and suggestions, and together, we will make colwiz even more awesome!

I think...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. implement tags (in addition to the existing keywords)

The keyword list of my library is spammed with automatic keywords from pubmed which makes it difficult to find my own personal keywords. I think a good way around this would be to allow the user to not import these predefined keywords when importing a paper. Alternatively, a new type of keywords, e.g. tags, could be used to separate personal and automatic keywords.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The ability to search for personal keywords is definitely supported by our Desktop Library. If you select “View as table” option on top while you’re present in the keywords page, you’ll see a search bar on top which will allow you to search for keywords that you have personally assigned to references.

However, we do see your point. The navigation in this particular case can be improved..

2. Nice linefeed and white spaces needed in the web

This is quite a small thing but can be very convenient.
    I think it would be much better if colwiz "share your thoughts" post boxes can use a proper linefeed and white spaces.

It is very useful as it helps posts to be a lot easier to read. It can also be used to 1. get ideas in a post organised, 2. separate each topics, 3. make lists of items, etc. Without a proper linefeed and white spaces, a post appears as a block of texts like this paragraph.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Optional field for LaTeXed title

Publications (in my field, at least) often have formulae in their titles. As well as the main "title" field, it would be useful to have an optional second field where one could add LaTeX code, which would then be used in place of the plain text title when exporting to BibTeX.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Merge two journals

At present there is a "merge" button for authors (useful if you have the same author's name spelled two slightly different ways) but no corresponding button for journals, which I think would be useful to have.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. adding functionality to import simple webpages (as part of the web importer)

Would be great if users could add a snapshot of any webpage to their library through the web-importer.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web Importer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something that’s been internally discussed about. Ideally we’d love to have this feature built into our web Importer. Let’s see how it plays out.

Thanks for posting :)

6. keyboard shortcuts

Promising tool! Please consider adding keyboard shortcuts for all elements in the desktop app.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. lab notebook

Hello colwiz team,

I think that an electronic lab notebook where we could add for example information of some experiments and together add the output of the experiment as some pictures or charts in the same page would be very useful. In this way we could keep on track about all experiments and compare them... I know that in the description part of a task where we could describe it, but if we could insert all information in a specific label developed for it it would be much better...

Best Regards and congrats for you great job!

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We do have plans to revamp our Tasks management interface and introducing more sections for storing/displaying more information will be something we’ll work on.

You make a great suggestion about having an area for displaying results and outcomes. We’ll surely take this into consideration. Thanks for posting :)

9. enable the tag function for the documented thoughts/discussions in projects

Hello.
    It couldn't be better to add a 'tag' function to the dialogues/discussions documented in the projects. Thus when the archives get more and more, classification of the thoughts/topics will be much easier and so does the search. Thanks

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. move discussions from one project to another

There are the cases that I happened to start a topic/ share thoughts in a wrong project. I couldn't find any function to move this topic to the project I would like it to be. So I have to delete the original flow of discussion then type them letter by letter (or copy/paste) in the right place. It is troublesome. It couldn't be better to have an option of 'move to' than ' x (delete)' at the upper right corner or than 'like' and 'comment' at the bottom of each dialogue.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. multiple attachments

Colwiz provides options for upload/display one attached link, one publication, one poll, one file or some equations(not sure if the number is one or not 'cause I didn't check this), which is very good. However, it is also a common case to share multiple files at one time when posting an idea or starting a discussion inside a project. Plus for the replies I didn't find any way to attach links/files/publictions/equations or anything else to respond. It could be better if these two functions are added to the next version of ColWiz. Thanks.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Web  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. In app pdf viewer

Instead of a separate app.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add a folder for publications which info couldn't be extracted automatically

When Colwiz cannot extract the info from a PDF file or "has a doubt" about the extracted info, the publication should be put in a "Needs review" folder.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Dropbox needed.

Could you integrate Dropbox? That would be awsome.
    Other managment programs are doing this integration (like Azendo and as far as I understand Asana was going to also.)
    Thanks for this awsome program.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Plugins  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the compliment! We are constantly improving colwiz and integration with Dropbox is something we can definitely look into in the near future. Many thanks for the feedback. Keep an eye on our blog posts and twitter feeds :)

colwiz Team

15. Importing Mendeley's notes and pdf annotation would be nice!

I am one of the ones who spent quite some time relying on apps like Mendeley. colwiz has more to add to the competition, which can be worth dealing with the fact that notes and annotations created in, e.g., Mendeley are not imported here.

It would be nice to see this feature available. Thanks!

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add smart collections

Collections are nice, but smart collections are better (collections automatically created based on keywords, search results, etc...).

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Colwiz should allow bookmarking, highlighting and annotating on any website.

If Colwiz allowed bookmarking, highlighting and annotating on any website it would definitely surpass your competition such ad Diigo.com. It would also allow me to use it with each class I teach ever month.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Browser indicator

Browser extension that indicates if the article in the opened page was already imported into Colwiz.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I need to be able to view a collection by keywords.

I work for a research centre. The current ability to view the keywords for the entire library is fine and the results are presented well, but I need the ability to view keywords by collection, so I can compare the keywords from publications of different collections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Citation plugin for 'Pages' (mac writing software)

I started exploring your app yesterday, and as a PHD student I have to say it is by far the most useful citation software I have been able to find.

My suggestion->
    For the desktop app: Please provide 'cite as you write' or something similar that enable inserting citations, and adding bibliography automatically, for the 'Pages' writing software for Mac.

Also, I noted that annotations made in external editors display as 'strike-through' in mac desktop application, making highlighted text unreadable.

Thank you for a great application

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Desktop App  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey there!

We’re humbled by your compliment. We put in a lot of effort to make sure that all the required features and necessary tools are built into colwiz. Feedback like yours is very valuable as it helps us do that.

As you are aware, colwiz supports Word, Open Office and LaTeX editors on Mac. We will certainly consider adding support for Pages in future.

We will keep updated on its progress and hopefully have it resolved by the time the next update rolls out.

Many thanks for the feedback. Stay in touch and have a great day :)

• Don't see your idea?

New Ideas and Suggestions

Feedback and Knowledge Base